Wednesday, September 13
Identifying infrastructure needs for improving safety and comfort is critical to increasing the number of children who walk and bike to school. To identify these needs, a walk assessment (sometimes called a walk audit) is often used to observe dangerous street crossings and other barriers. In this Mobile Workshop, participants will travel by bus to a Saint Paul school and conduct a walk assessment of the school grounds and surrounding streets. There will be a discussion and demonstration of how new mobile technologies can be used to gather information that can make analysis, observation, and data collection during and after walk assessments more efficient and streamlined.
- Tom Baron, AICP, Associate Planner ECWRPC
- Melissa Kraemer Badtke, Principal Transportation Planner and Safe Routes to School Coordinator, East Central WI Regional Planning Commission
- Ashley Tracy, Planner for the Regional Safe Routes to School Program, East Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission
- Tyler DeBruin, GIS Assistant, East Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission
- Jimmy Shoemaker, Planner, ALTA Design
- Colin Harris, Civil Engineer and Project Manager, ALTA Planning