Vital and vibrant communities are places where art and innovation are encouraged and enabled and diverse cultural expression is celebrated. Addressing issues in new and creative ways, while honoring cultural heritage, can help inform and change the built environment, individual behavior and community engagement. The use of art, music, technology and creative problem-solving have all become valuable resources to the walking movement. This path will look at how art and innovation come together to create communities that continue to tackle challenges in new and exciting ways. Participants of this path will leave the Summit equipped with the latest resources and strategies available and be encouraged to develop their own innovative ways to create walkable communities.
These sessions will:
- Provide new tools, technology, and techniques that have helped to move the walking movement forward in its success.
- Share success stories of out-of-the-box thinking, culturally unique ideas, and techniques that have promoted walking and walkable communities.
- Demonstrate how creativity, art and other place elements can help promote healthy communities.
Featured sessions in this path include:
- Picture This! Engaging Those Who Use Active Transportation in PhotoMapping
- Creative Placemaking at the Intersection of Community Engagement and Pedestrian Safety in Little East Africa, San Diego
- Walking into the Future: Technology and the Walking Movement
- Off the Walking Path: Creative Walkable Interventions